Thursday, September 25, 2008

Socks and more socks.

It's been a few days since I have updated. I've been crocheting constantly (which is kind silly because I'm supposed to be working on final projects for school, lol). But anyway, I just finished a pair of socks for my mother-in-law. The pattern is my own design loosely modeled from this pattern, which is an excellent pattern, but I don't enjoy knitting very well. So, I kind of took the basic idea and designed my own pattern. They look pretty cute, but I think I'm going to play with the pattern a bit so that it won't look quite so bulky. That's one of the downsides about crocheting socks, they tend to be a little bulky looking (and feeling). All in all though, I think the design worked pretty well. I used Paton's Grace in "Blush" for the socks and enjoyed the yarn a lot. I absolutely love cotton and cotton blends. Which is good, because I found out today...

I think I have discovered that I am allergic to wool. I'd never used wool before until today. I'd recently bought a bunch of different yarns to try and see what I thought of them. I'm not generally a big fan of wool anyway because it is so itchy, but I found out today that I have another reason not to like it. Among the yarn I purchased was a couple skeins of Cervina Calzetteria in the color Capri. It's 70% wool and 30% nylon. Itchy, but so pretty. I love the colors. Looking through my new copy of Crochet Today magazine, I found a really nifty sock pattern that I wanted to try(which I will talk about in a minute) and thought "This yarn would be excellent for this project." And it is; what I have so far is gorgeous...BUT I'm having adverse effects due to the wool. My hands were getting tingly and itchy, but I thought that could just be due to the itchiness of the wool, until I rubbed my eye...which is now red, itchy, and uncomfortable. Poo. So, I'm going to have to find another yarn for this project, which makes me sad because I really love the colors in this yarn and it's really nice to work with.

So about the pattern. The pattern is called "Step-by-Step Socks" and the designer is Amy O'Neill Houck and can be found in the Sept/Oct issue of Crochet Today. I love the pattern. It's very pretty, really simple and doesn't look bulky at all. I think I'm going to make a few pairs of these for the females on my Christmas list (including me...haha). I'm actually considering reworking my pink ribbon sock pattern to incorporate some of the things I am discovering through this pattern.

Well, that about brings you up to speed. Talk to you later!

On the hook: "Step-by-Step Socks" (that I have to find new yarn for *sad face*)

No comments: